Do You Know CCleaner?
Very complete and effective, CCleaner is a reference utility to quickly clean and optimize your PC with a few clicks. A free reference to discover without hesitation on Windows, but also on macOS and Android!
New in CCleaner 5.48:
- Improved cleaning of Microsoft Edge browser,
- Support for “feature previews”, a system of new features added to random users,
- Renewal of the security certificate.
What is CCleaner
What is CCleaner?
CCleaner is free software in French allowing you to clean and optimize your operating system. Its name results from the combination of two words “Crap-Cleaner”, meaning dirt cleaner. Indeed, its purpose is to detect and delete unnecessary files and applications that slow down the PC.
CCleaner exists in several versions: for Windows PCs, for macOS, and for Android tablets and smartphones. Note also that paid versions Professional and Professional Plus are also available with more features.
What to clean with CCleaner?
CCleaner integrates several modules that allow you to not only clean your system in order to speed up Windows but also to remove traces of use and navigation.
Optimization, therefore, involves deleting files and keys from the registry and also uninstalling software or even disabling services or software when the computer is started.
The main modules of CCleaner
The Cleaner is the main module of CCleaner. In addition to freeing up hard drive space, it can be used to protect your privacy.
The software thus proposes to detect temporary files, cookies, and browsing history of the main browsers (Edge, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and other compatible such as Pale Moon or SeaMonkey).
The tool also analyzes Windows system files (Recycle Bin, list of recent files, system logs, cache, etc.) and third-party software with others such as Windows Media Player, Microsoft Office, WinRAR, Nero, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
The Registry tool analyzes the Registry, a database essential for the proper functioning of Windows, looking for unnecessary or obsolete errors and entries.
The Integrated Tool kit
CCleaner does not stop there and provides several additional features via the Outis tab :
- Uninstalling programs: software uninstall interface useful for renaming or deleting an entry,
- Startup: three tabs to activate, deactivate or delete the entries concerning the execution of applications when Windows starts, scheduled tasks as well as the Windows context menu accessible by right-clicking,
- Browser plugins to enable or disable extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome web browsers, and Opera,
- Disk Analysis to analyze hard disks to learn more about the largest files,
- Duplicate file search allows you to detect and delete duplicate files,
- System restore to remove unnecessary restore points and therefore save storage space,
- Disk Eraser, a module to perform secure erasures of disks or storage devices using several erasing methods.
Note: During installation, CCleaner may suggest the installation of additional tools, we advise you to be sure to check the correct boxes.
Note that CCleaner can do even more. Thanks to CCEnhancer, it also cleans:
µTorrent, Avast Antivirus Free, Adobe Flash, Gimp, LogMeIn Hamachi, Adobe Photoshop, Steam, PDF Xchange Viewer, Virtual Clone Drive, Media Player Classic, Acronis True Image, Alcohol 52%, Audacity, AVG AntiVirus, TuneUp Utilities, and more.
The 5 Best alternatives to CCleaner:
- Glary Utilities
- AusLogics BoostSpeed
- Advanced SystemCare Free